cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgalvin
Level 3

Services & Scheduled Tasks

We are trying to replace a batch file system deployment with InstallShield. The current batch files deploy 8 websites 6 services and a few scheduled tasks to a Windows 2003 server. We want one InstallShield installer (setup.exe) for the whole system. Trying to get a jump start to my training on 5/11. Suggestions welcome!

Questions,
1.) What is the best template to start project like this?
2.) How do you call\execute .MSI's from within InstallShield?
3.) How do you call\execute .bat file from within InstallShield?
4.) How do you set up a scheduled task in InstallShield?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

I'm not sure what you mean by question 1, and I've never done 3 or 4 from InstallScript, but here are my suggestions for question 2.

2.) How do you call\execute .MSI's from within InstallShield?

If you mean from InstallScript, I've used 2 ways:
a. Use msiexec.exe on the target system:
1. Set a variable to the SystemFolder path and append "msiexec.exe"
2. Set a variable with any command line parameters and/or properties that need to be passed to the the MSI.
3. Use LaunchAppAndWait and check the returned LAAW parameters for the return code from the MSI

b. Use the msi.lib call from the Windows Installer API:
1. Include msi.lib in your support files and prototype the call in your script.
2. Set the UILevel using MsiSetInternalUI
3. Set one variable to the full path of the msi file and another with any properties you need to pass to the MSI.
4. Call MsiInstallProduct
0 Kudos
abrasha
Level 4

Hi

1. I think InstallScript-project.
Rewrite a number if batch-files in InstallScript may be more easy and quiclky than create correct MSI.

3. Use LaunchAppAndWait-function (InstallScript): "cmd.exe /c ...".
But it very easy rewrite any batch on InstallScript - you can verify every step and add your logging.

4. I don't know about something build-in, so I execute "schtasks.exe" using LaunchAppAndWait-function.
0 Kudos