cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeepthaK
Level 2

Server and Workstation version

Hi,

We want to categorize the installer based on Server or Workstation . If server we would need SQL server to be installed along with the other prerequisites and if it is a normal workstation we would need only the other prerequisites to be installed. Can any one help out with your ideas to make this done?

Thanks,
Deeptha
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

You will need to separate the server and non-server pieces into two different features.

For myself I had to use the Premium package Suite / Advanced UI package to accomplish this because of issues installing MS SQL Server 2008, 2008 R2, and 2012.
Basically for earlier versions of SQL Server I was able to include the package as a 'feature' prerequisite and associate it with a feature that only installs for the server class machines.
For versions 2008 R2, and 2012, the Microsoft setup stops the MSI and restarts it during its checks to validate that the package can be run. When that occurs the main installer for InstallShield looses its handle.

For a Suite package I would just run an InstallScript custom action to get the OS type. I forget the exact command but I know I have used it in the past.
0 Kudos
DeepthaK
Level 2

Yes.. thank you.. But any idea on how to add these into the feature? Sorry your answers is not descriptive.

Thanks,
Deeptha
0 Kudos