cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dilip21
Level 2

Seeking Guidance on VB.NET Desktop Application Update Process with InstallShield 2023

Hello everyone,

I want to update installed software using Update path.

I am currently in the process of evaluating InstallShield 2023 trial version for the deployment and update management of my VB.NET desktop application. Specifically, I am seeking guidance on implementing the update process. The application is designed to check for updates on restart, informing users about the availability of updates and allowing them to download and install the latest version.

If any community members have experience with the trial version of InstallShield 2023 or can provide insights into updating VB.NET desktop applications using InstallShield, I would greatly appreciate your input. The urgency of our timeline requires prompt assistance, and any information you can share would be valuable.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Windows Installer upgrades can be a daunting subject to begin with - I would suggest that you take 10 mins to watch through the following video I made:
https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Introduction-to-Windows-Installer-Upgrade-Types/ta-p/193041

This should hopefully give you some idea about the concepts of upgrades and the best way forward for your application.

0 Kudos

Is there a similar video that explains the different upgrade types and their limitations for InstallScript Only projects as well? And/or an online documentation link?

Thanks

0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Installscript upgrades work a little differently and offers 2 types of upgrades:

Differential release—This type of release contains the files that are absent from—and/or have a different date, time, size, or attribute than the version in—one or more of a specified set of existing releases. A differential release is used to update the versions of your product that were installed by those existing releases.

Full (non-differential) release—This type of release behaves as a first-time installation if an earlier version of the product is not already present on the target system. It also is capable of installing over an earlier version and replacing that version completely.

Whilst we don't have any videos we do have documentation for creating an installscript upgrade which you can find here:

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield/helplibrary/CreateASetupToUpdateMyProduct.htm#updatingapplications_3928869889_1023577

0 Kudos