cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter_Kosenko
Level 7

Screwed up CustomActionData

I am fed up.

I have to run a second installer from a Commit Custom action at the end of a first installation. This was working now isn't.

I find and save the path to the second installer. I then SET it with a SetProperty action to the NAME of the Commit custom action that will run at the end of the installation. I test the path property before this SetProperty action occurs, and the value of the path is correct.

But when the installer gets to the end and runs the Commit Action to launch the second installer, it has a NULL ("") value for the path (the property did not get passed to "CustomActionData").

It simply does not work. I take it that Commit Custom actions decide by themselves whether or not they "want" to run, depending on how they feel. One week they work, another they don't.

Either that, or the InstallShield 2008 compiler is fickled and will not properly compile the custom actions into the MSI database.

It is probably the later.

See attached JPEG.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Peter_Kosenko
Level 7

Sorry about that. The commit custom action was missing a nBuffer value to set the MsiGetProperty() function buffer. Alas, when you are commenting out a lot of code, watch that you don't lose a buffer property. The commit action could not grab the CustomActionData because the buffer was 0.

A simple dumb error.

At least getting things off your chest helps, I guess.

As soon as you do, the error somehow just pops up in front of you.

Catharsis.
0 Kudos