cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gamblor
Level 3

Same file version number issue for updates

Hello All

I am working on creating an update with Installshield 2008 for training software developed with Macromedia Authorware.

As part of the process I am starting with the usual small 'Hello World' Authorware project, with two different versions, 1.1 and 1.2. However the Installshield update process refuses to complete with the error:

"WARNING (14): File versions are equal. Upgraded: '...Hello World.exe' ver=6.5.0.0; Target: ...Hello World.exe' ver=6.5.0.0.
ERROR: Since MSI 3.0 will block installation of major upgrade patches with sequencing information, creation of such patches is blocked."

Authorware creates executables by starting with a runtime stub with the version 6.5 (for the project version) and attaching user-code and icons. The result is that I will _never_ be able to set the version number before compile-time, as the stub is an interpreter and is never compiled.

Is it possible to override the update file version checking, or is there a third-party software that can modify file version of a completed executable?

Rgds Darren
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Yes, you should be able to override the version in InstallShield:
[LIST=1]
  • In the View List under Application Data, click Files and Folders.
  • In the Destination computer's files pane, right-click the file and then click Properties. The Properties dialog box opens.
  • Select the Override system version check box.
  • In the Version box, type the new version for the file.

You can also override other file attributes through this Properties dialog box. Click the Help button to learn more about each attribute.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
    Macrovision Corporation
  • 0 Kudos
    Gamblor
    Level 3

Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.

I tried setting the override for the file version of the executable within the destination computer file list earlier, but to be sure I tried this again. I also rebuilt (for CD-ROM) both versions of the project (1.0.1 and 1.0.2).

Unfortunately although I have double and triple checked that the version override for the executable is active on both versions the patch build process still continues to insist both files are identical version 6.5 and refuses to complete. :eek: I have a feeling the build patch process is ignoring the version override settings.

Is there any other option I can pursue? This is currently blocking completion of our project.

Regards Darren
    0 Kudos
    DebbieL
    Level 17

Hmm. Did you rebuild just the patch? Or did you first rebuild the version 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 releases in the Releases view and then rebuild the patch? (And is 1.0.1 an upgrade for version 1.0.0? Or is 1.0.1 your base installation?)

It sounds like maybe the patch build process is still looking at the old images (the ones where the file version number for Hello World.exe is still 6.5).

Debbie Landers
    Macrovision Corporation
    0 Kudos
    Gamblor
    Level 3

Thank you for the ongoing ideas.

I also thought this might be the issue. To be sure I rebuilt the images, and then recreated both projects from scratch. The issue still occurs.

The files are definately overridden as version 1.0 and 1.1 (I re-compiled the project for those version numbers) but installshield patch build seems to be totally ignoring the overridden version numbers. I now feel this may be an issue with installshield.
    0 Kudos
    DebbieL
    Level 17

I did a little more research on this and I'd like to clarify what is happening when you override file properties like the version number in InstallShield. The installation won't change the properties (such as version number) of the files as it installs the files. When Windows Installer is determining whether to update a file that already exists on the target system or to leave it alone as is, it simply looks at your override version number value, instead of the file's actual version value.

So, if I understand your dilemma correctly, I think that because your Hello World.exe file has a version number of 6.5.0.0, you'd want to override it with a number that is higher than 6.5. (As an alternative, you could even go ahead and select the Always Overwrite check box on the file's Properties dialog box in InstallShield.) If you specify 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 as the override version number, Windows Installer will not update the target system, since the override version is less than the actual file version.

Sorry about all of the confusion. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Debbie Landers
    Macrovision Corporation
    0 Kudos
    Gamblor
    Level 3

Thank you for the additional help

I was still unable to resolve this issue by setting file versions over 6.5 or overwriting file versions - at least not at first.

While saving the project as a new version I unticked this option in the save dialogue: "Create and assign a new project GUID to the saved project". This did not solve my issue either, until combined overwriting the file versions.

Suddenly the patch update on my "Hello World" project worked. I did not know the GUID for both projects had to be the same (and it is not obvious in the help). I am glad to have gotten it working though, although a "Hello World" scenario is nowhere near in complexity to the final full CD-ROM project I intend to provide updates to in the future.

Thank you for all the additional information.
    0 Kudos