cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonG
Level 5

SYSINFO.nOSMinor not working for Windows 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1

For InstallScript projects, does anyone know why InstallShield 2012 returns 6.2 in the SYSINFO values for Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2 which should be returning 6.3? Specifically in the SYSINFO.nOSMajor and SYSINFO.nOSMinor versions.

I don't mind not having specific constants for them because I'm using an older version of InstallShield, but I would still expect the versions returned to work.

Any workarounds as I have to detect these OSs in my installation!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
aokbeatty
Level 3

SimonG wrote:
For InstallScript projects, does anyone know why InstallShield 2012 returns 6.2 in the SYSINFO values for Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2 which should be returning 6.3? Specifically in the SYSINFO.nOSMajor and SYSINFO.nOSMinor versions.

I don't mind not having specific constants for them because I'm using an older version of InstallShield, but I would still expect the versions returned to work.

Any workarounds as I have to detect these OSs in my installation!

It is still a problem in IS2013SP1. This is the kind of really irritating bug that makes me want to find another installer product. Meh.
0 Kudos
SimonG
Level 5

Here's the fix which works in both IS2012 and IS2013...
http://flexerasoftware.force.com/articles/en_US/ISSUE/Windows-Compatibility-Issues-on-Windows-8-1-and-Server-2012-R2-for-Suite-and-InstallScript-Projects

See my post on StackOverflow for full information.

I agree about InstallShield. I'm sure over half of our latest product installation is now calling our own c# assemblies to do things InstallShield should be capable of doing, but always falls short of or simply doesn't work properly.
0 Kudos
SimonG
Level 5

It is of course broken for Windows 10, which should report the version as 10, but InstallShield reports it as 6.2 instead. 😞
0 Kudos
SimonG
Level 5

The fix for Windows 10 is that on the machine you are building your setups you again need updated SetupExe.X.manifest files in your InstallShield installation folder, e.g.
The 3 SetupExe.*.manifest files from C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2012 SAB\Support\.

Edit the compatibility section in all 3 files so it looks like this...

Then rebuild the setups and magically InstallShield will recognised Windows 10 as major OS version 10.
0 Kudos