cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dolving
Level 3

STATUSEX dialog language problem

Hi everyone,

I have a small problem with the language displayed in the Dialog STATUSEX (DialogId_10305). I added the dialog from an resource dll (...\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008\ObjectsPro\InstallShield Object Installer\_IsRes.dll). My projecttype is InstallScript MSI.

That being said, here's the main problem:
The Installation features more than one language. I can get every other Dialog that shows to display itself in the language I chose in the beginning but the STATUSEX dialog always shows up in English.
I have searched installsite.org and this forum quite extensively for answers but either I don't search for the right thing or there is no answer out there yet.

Any hints, ideas or solutions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Dolving.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
dolving
Level 3

Did I not state myself clearly enough or is there really nobody out there that could help me out? 😞

Greetings,
Dolving.
0 Kudos
dolving
Level 3

I didn't find a way to solve the problem but I covered the symptoms by making all the untranslated texts invisible.
It's just a temporary fix but better than a mixed up language setup.

Greetings,
Dolving.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The resource DLL C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008\ObjectsPro\InstallShield Object Installer\_IsRes.dll only contains English resources. Therefore, the strings on this dialog will always be English at runtime.

Another thing to note is the STATUSEX dialog should never be modified. The InstallScript engine expects this dialog to always contain certain controls. Attempting to modify this dialog can result in unexpected runtime behavior.
0 Kudos
BrHartmann
Level 7

Josh -

I asked this in another post, but that one mentions using skins, so I'm not sure the right people (such as you) would necessarily see that post. If I don't want to change any existing controls on STATUSEX, but simply add a bitmap onto the dialog at a specific position (and use a different bitmap based on language (Windows environment), for a multi-language localized Installscript-MSI project), can you please confirm if this is absolutely impossible in the current IS 2009 architecture?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

There are no predefined ways through InstallScript to be able to change the appearance or add controls to the status dialog.

Modifying the resources may work if the existing controls are not modified. However, this isn't something that is explicitly tested so you may want to try this in a test first. Some bad behavior to look out for would be the progress bar not updating, controls not displayed/painted correctly, etc.
0 Kudos