cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lordmaxx
Level 6

SRCDISK and GetValidDriveList about to drive me nuts

I have 2 issues in a new installer I'm developing for my company. I have to do a self-extracting setup.exe for this particular program, but I do need to know where I am installing from. So, of course, SRCDISK, SRCDIR and the rest all point to the temp area where the setup.exe extracts to.

Is there any way for me to know where I actually double clicked on the setup.exe from?

And on another problem. I'm trying to bring up a list of valid drives to install to. Including Mapped Network drives. So, firstly I used a Volume Select Combo with the appropriate properties, works on XP, not on Vista/7. Next I tried just a combo box where I use GetValidDrivesList and IT doesnt work either...populates local drives just fine but using

GetValidDrivesList(lDriveList2, FIXED_DRIVE, 0);
GetValidDrivesList(lDriveList3, REMOTE_DRIVE, 0);

and combing those lists...still only get the fixed drives on Vista and 7...

Im running as administrator, trying to get just a stinkin drive list and this is getting crazy. Even if I just use the standard select button for changing installation directory the listbox at the top drops down and doesnt show mapped network drives...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
lordmaxx
Level 6

Seems the drivelist issue has to do with UAC and there is a registry entry (after reboot dangit) that can fix the issue. But it only works for vista, not 7...
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Right right, searching these forums (and the world) for "Vista mapped drives" and "EnableLinkedConnections" will turn up the back story.
0 Kudos
lordmaxx
Level 6

But, it doesnt seem to fix Windows 7... And then the whole SRCDISK issue is killing me too, but I might just have to let that one go.
0 Kudos
lordmaxx
Level 6

Allright a little more information for those who may end up searching on this topic. The drives, having been mapped as a normal user, are not available when we begin the installer with elevated privileges (either require administrator or highest available) So when I set the installer to run as Invoker the drives are available. Fortunately I'm not doing anything too crazy with my installer so I can leave it as Invoker and I think it will be ok. But this is still a dumb situation to have to deal with.

btw as far as I can tell this works for both Vista and Windows 7.

Now. I'm still not sure what to do about trying to tell where the installer was invoked from.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For an MSI project, SETUPEXEDIR might be what you want.
0 Kudos
lordmaxx
Level 6

That did it! Getting hard to remember all these different properties now adays. Thanks!
0 Kudos