cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

SQL Server Protocol Options

I have a commercial application using an InstallScript MSI installer. The application stores its data in an SQL Server database that may be local or remote.

The customer want to be able to enable/disable as well as configure their SQL protocols. I want to able to support at least TCP/IP and Name Pipes protocols for communications with the SQL Server.

I understand how to change ISSQLDBMetaData / AdoCxnNetLibrary at design time to change protocols. Is it possible to change it at run-time so I can attempt different connections with protocols to determine which one will work?

Also, how does one go about specifying the name of the pipe if the user has configured the server to a non-default pipe name? I think the same question could be asked about the port number for TCP/IP.

Basically, I'm try to understand how InstallShield supports all parts of database connection string. I know I've run into customers in the past the had non-default configurations and I need to support them.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Unfornately, the net-library setting cannot be changed at run-time. I file the work order #IOC-000066261 so that we will take it into consideration for a future release.

To specify a custom port number, you need to enter ServerName,[Port] in the Server Name field. Also, you need to use a server alias for a non-default pipe name. However, InstallShield curretly does not support server aliases. The feature request has already been submitted under #IOB-000048483, and it will be supported in the next major release of InstallShield.

Regards.
0 Kudos
MayankThapak
Level 3

Mark Koehler wrote:
I have a commercial application using an InstallScript MSI installer. The application stores its data in an SQL Server database that may be local or remote.

The customer want to be able to enable/disable as well as configure their SQL protocols. I want to able to support at least TCP/IP and Name Pipes protocols for communications with the SQL Server.

I understand how to change ISSQLDBMetaData / AdoCxnNetLibrary at design time to change protocols. Is it possible to change it at run-time so I can attempt different connections with protocols to determine which one will work?

Also, how does one go about specifying the name of the pipe if the user has configured the server to a non-default pipe name? I think the same question could be asked about the port number for TCP/IP.

Basically, I'm try to understand how InstallShield supports all parts of database connection string. I know I've run into customers in the past the had non-default configurations and I need to support them.

Can you let me know how can I store my data as well as database objects on Database Server via install shield :?

Thanks
0 Kudos