cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Calsy123
Level 3

SQL Scripts with Chinese Characters ??????

Hi All, Long time reader first time poster (bla bla bla).

The database for our application has a dictionary table in it. Which contains multiple languages (currently it is only english and simplified chinese). The current install i am creating will install this database to the clients computer.

The problem is that when i use the Database Import Wizard and import the database the characters only show up as question mark characters (???????/????). Is there anyway to fix this or at least get around it?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Please select the Unicode file format on the Advanced Scripting Options panel, and see if it solves your issue.
0 Kudos
Calsy123
Level 3

I dont seem to have the advanced scripting tab. All the tabs i can see are General, Script, Runtime, Database Import, Text Replacement. There is an advanced tab on SQL connections but it does not allow you to select a file format.

Any ideas?

Thanks
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

I am referencing to the Advanced Scripting Options panel on the Database Import Wizard.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Calsy123
Level 3

Thanks for your reply. I can now see the chinese characters in my script, GREAT. (have to modify the script in another editor because installshield cannot edit that format)

The problem is that i now run the script, it runs through fine, but the records inserted still have all the chinese characters converted to "???" format.

Here is the insert record produced:

INSERT INTO [dbo].[ChangeNameNew] ([ChangeNameID],[ParentName],[ParentType],[ControlName],[DefaultValue],[Conversion],[GridControlName],[IsMessageBox],[IsMultiValue],[CreatedByContactID],[CreatedDateTime],[ModifiedByContactID],[ModifiedDateTime],[LanguageNameID])
VALUES (53099,'Asset Downtime by Month','Report','Text29','Aug','八月','',0,0,1,'2008-04-15 16:41:49.480',1,'2008-04-16 08:11:44.703',98)
GO

The thing is that if i execute this insert statement through my SQL enterprise manager it does the same thing and changes the characters to "??". So at this level installshield isnt the problem. Is there a property that i should be setting on my database for this insert statement (i can cut and paste chinese characters into the db tables, just doesnt like insert statements).

Any ideas?

Thanks
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Try using an N prefix for the string value as highlighted in red below, and see if it fixes the problem:

INSERT INTO [dbo].[ChangeNameNew] ([ChangeNameID],[ParentName],[ParentType],[ControlName],[DefaultValue],[Conversion],[GridControlName],[IsMessageBox],[IsMultiValue],[CreatedByContactID],[CreatedDateTime],[ModifiedByContactID],[ModifiedDateTime],[LanguageNameID])
VALUES (53099,'Asset Downtime by Month','Report','Text29','Aug',N'八月','',0,0,1,'2008-04-15 16:41:49.480',1,'2008-04-16 08:11:44.703',98)
GO
0 Kudos