cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
virtualsoran
Level 3

SQL Script installation - "Login failed for user '(null)'" w/ Windows Authentication

Hello - I've been spending all day on the forums and knowledgebase trying to assess this issue, but so far I've turned up nothing.

I am building an installer in InstallShield 2008 Professional that creates a connection based on user information in the default SQLLogin dialog box.

However, whenever a user selects "Windows Authentication", I get the response "Login failed for user '(null)'". For some reason, InstallShield isn't properly assessing the current login on the machine. This happens on EVERY computer I put the installer on.

I have already checked the usual suspects (ForceGuest is turned off on both the target machine as well as the SQL server, the user I'm logging in as has full permissions, etc), and every other program we have works fine contacting the database using integrated Windows Authentication *except* InstallShield - so I'm at a loss as to why InstallShield can't figure out what username is logged in.

I could really use some help with this as nothing in the documentation or on google seems to cover this exact problem. Thanks...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

If you try to connect to your database from InstallShield locally (run the setup on the machine that has your database server installed), does the problem reproduced?
0 Kudos
virtualsoran
Level 3

No, the problem can't be reproduced on the SQL server itself.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Try the solution provided in this thread, and let me know if it solves your issue.
0 Kudos
virtualsoran
Level 3

Aha! Thank you so much, that worked. Hopefully future versions will have that documented/changed? 🙂 Thanks!
0 Kudos