cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom_Teboda
Level 4

Running pre-build scripts?

I'd like to perform a pre-build step. Specifically creating a CAB-file which will be part of the installation package. Is there a way to add a pre-build script to be run by IS?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
GetExp
Level 6

If need to execute a prebuild script even before the CAB file is built... I think you can create a batch file which builds your script first and then build your project file.
0 Kudos
Tom_Teboda
Level 4

Well yes, that's what we have today. What we would like to do is avoid needing to point out specific files/paths outside of the IS-project. I.e. I'd like to have my CAB-file built as part part of building the actuall setup, i.e.

1. Run VBScript
1.1 Launch ISCmdBld.exe with arguments
1.1.1 build-CAB
1.1.2 build-setup.exe
1.2 Distribute package

Instead of:

1. Run VBScript
1.1 build-CAB
1.2 Launch ISCmdBld.exe with arguments
1.2.1 build-setup.exe
1.3 Distribute package

If that makes sense.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

If upgrading to InstallShield 2011 is an option, you may want to consider it. The Premier edition of this version of InstallShield lets you specify commands that you want to be run at various stages of the build process. Here's a help topic that has details:
Specifying Commands that Run Before, During, and After Builds
0 Kudos
Tom_Teboda
Level 4

No, as we've already upgraded to both IS2009 and IS2010 without actually releasing any software using them, we will probably stick with IS2010 for the foreseeable future.
0 Kudos