cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
William-Webb
Level 4

Restrict languages shown in the "Chose Language" Dialog at run-time?

Hi all,

After a rather steep learning curve I've finally got our new Multilingual Customisable installer completed! 😄

However, the goal posts have moved, and I now have a load of extra work to do! :rolleyes:

When you run the installer you are presented with the "Chose Langauge" dialog, which lists the 13 languages that we support.

It has been requested that this dialog only shows the languages defined within a "Config" file in the SourceDir.

Is there any way of doing this? Our project is an InstallScript MSI.

I thought about creating my own setup launcher, that found the listed languages within the config file, and then called the launcher with the " /L" switch when the user selected one... But that seems like a long way round to a simple problem!

Thanks,
Will
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If your build is fully uncompressed, you should be able to find and edit the list of languages setup offers in the setup.ini file (obviously the only change that will succeed is the removal of languages you built with). If it's compressed, you might be able to fix it up similarly with setupini.exe. While this isn't quite as convenient as your custom config file, it might get you where you want to be.
0 Kudos
William-Webb
Level 4

Hi Michael,

Our release is fully compressed, and we are using InstallShield 2008 Premier.

Do you have any documentation to go with the Setupini.exe app?

I have managed to find this document, but it does not explain how to use it properly 😞

The title of this document appears to be promising, but it appears to be empty :confused:

I need a solution to this problem ASAP, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Here is the content from the KB...

INFO: Modifying a Setup.ini That Is Embedded in Setup.exe or Update.exe
Document ID: Q107253
Last Revised On: 5/25/2006

This article applies to the following:
Product(s): FLEXnet InstallShield 12 Premier
FLEXnet InstallShield 11.5 Premier
InstallShield 11 Premier
InstallShield 10.5 Premier
InstallShield X Premier
FLEXnet InstallShield 12 Professional
FLEXnet InstallShield 11.5 Professional
InstallShield 11 Professional
InstallShield 10.5 Professional
InstallShield X Professional
DevStudio 9.x
AdminStudio 6.x
AdminStudio 5.5x
AdminStudio 5.x
AdminStudio 3.5x
AdminStudio 3.x
Developer 8.x
Developer 7.x

Project Type(s): Windows Installer, InstallScript MSI

Summary
This article discusses how to use a command-line utility called setupini to modify the setup.ini that is embedded in a setup.exe or update.exe file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discussion
A command-line utility is available that allows you to modify the setup.ini file embedded within a setup.exe or update.exe file.

The usage is as follows:

setupini

The example below adds the value MYPROP="Test" to the CmdLine key of the StartUp section.

Example: C:\SetupIni.exe "C:\Setup.exe" StartUp CmdLine MYPROP="Test"

This opens the setup.exe or update.exe specified and modifies the embedded setup.ini. The section and key will be updated with the supplied value. Note that if the value contains spaces, it is recommended to enclose the value in quotation marks.

Download Tool

This tool can be downloaded from the links:

InstallShield 10.5 and later users... http://support.installshield.com/kb/files/Q107253/SetupIniNew.zip

InstallShield Developer 8.01 and later users... http://support.installshield.com/kb/files/Q107253/setupini.zip

InstallShield Developer 8.00 and earlier users... http://support.installshield.com/kb/files/Q107253/setupiniold.zip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

References
Additional information on setup.exe and update.exe can be found in the InstallShield Help Library topic Setup.exe and Update.exe Command Line Parameters.
0 Kudos
William-Webb
Level 4

Hi Mike,

Not exactly the best description in the world to work from, but I think I've got it sussed!

Cheers,
Will
0 Kudos