cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timstspry
Level 7

Restart after Reboot

Hello, I am having a problem getting my installer to resume the installation after a reboot. I am installing the Windows Installer 3.1 or better which requires a restart. I have tried all of the various settings on the behavior tab of the prerequisite editor, but nothing seems to work. Presently, I believe I have it set to "reboot and resume", but again, the installer does not resume after a reboot, nor is there anything written to the runonce registry setting.

I would appreciate any help anyone is able to provide. My installation is an InstallScript MSI Project.

Tim
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
mohit_raghav
Level 4

timstspry wrote:
Hello, I am having a problem getting my installer to resume the installation after a reboot. I am installing the Windows Installer 3.1 or better which requires a restart. I have tried all of the various settings on the behavior tab of the prerequisite editor, but nothing seems to work. Presently, I believe I have it set to "reboot and resume", but again, the installer does not resume after a reboot, nor is there anything written to the runonce registry setting.

I would appreciate any help anyone is able to provide. My installation is an InstallScript MSI Project.

Tim

hey Tim
did u find solution for this one???
thanks
mohit
0 Kudos
ICE999
Level 5

I actually entered the same package (Installer 3.1) in my installshield package.
I'll describe what i did;

Created a custom prerequisit with the prerequisite editor:
-added the .exe file for the Win Installer 3.1 (WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe)
- Make sure you have a unique identiefier (comments are optional)
- Install condition was a reg search for the value "3.1" in the registry (use regmon on a manual install to find out where the windows installer puts the keys, was not that easy to find)
- Application to run was the .exe itself with the silent parameter ( /quiet) on the next field
- In behavior tab, you can choose to reboot.

After the creation, you have to mark the prerequisite you just created in the redistributable view.

When testing my installation it did the reboot, although i must admit that i tried with different options (with and without user prompt) and i never saw the user dialog that a reboot was coming.
I need further testing on that issue but it did a reboot which was the most important thing.

I hope this helped you out.
0 Kudos