cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caryjmiller
Level 3

Requires the following items to be installed on you computer.

I have a requirement of preinstalling SQL LocalDB prior to an installation. Is there any way to kick it off without having the user click on "install"?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

You need to provide more information.
1. What type of setup are you using? MSI, InstallScript, etc.
2. What version of SQL Server are you installing?

From SQL Server 2008 R2 and newer you need to install SQL Server as a prerequisite, a step that runs before any MSI Installer can execute.

For myself I utilized the InstallShield Suite / AdvancedUI project type. This allows me to have a unified UI and based on user responses install SQL Server prior to installing our main application.
0 Kudos
suhass
Level 3

Hi

Were you able to resolve this?

I need to do the same thing. The Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express LocalDB is not available in the redistributables list. There are RTM versions in there but not the release version. I am able to download the install package from MS site and it is a MSI package.

How do I add the release version to the pre-requisite list? I read somewhere that I need to create a PRQ file but don't know how to do it.

Thanks
Suhas
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

suhass wrote:
Hi

Were you able to resolve this?

I need to do the same thing. The Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express LocalDB is not available in the redistributables list. There are RTM versions in there but not the release version. I am able to download the install package from MS site and it is a MSI package.

How do I add the release version to the pre-requisite list? I read somewhere that I need to create a PRQ file but don't know how to do it.

Thanks
Suhas

Here is a video showing how to create a custom prerequisite.Do not get hung up on the fact that this is describing how to setup one for Adobe Reader. There is also information regarding the prerequisite editor in the help for InstallShield.
Basically download the SQL Server 2014 Express LocalDB executable and stage the file somewhere available for your build machine, such as in a repository. Create a new prerequisite and point it to the downloaded executable. Configure your command line for installing. The settings should be available on MSDN for installing SQL Server 2014 from a command line.
0 Kudos
praneshj
Level 2

Installshield 2015 LE has the sql Local DB RTM both x86 and x64
0 Kudos