cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwisent
Level 3

Removing a software which is not an msi

Hi,
I am new to packaging and i am stuck at a point. I am doing a package for an application and it must uninstall the already installed version of that product which is not an msi....can it be done by performing some custom action?? or is there any other way to do that.

can anyone plz help me out.

Thanks in advance
Karti
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
fanasus
Level 4

you can create a custom action to handle the following items:
1. check if the old product exist or not? (identify it according to some file version or registry)
2. if yes, delete the old product(delete the all installed files and registry directly)
0 Kudos
kwisent
Level 3

Thanks for the reply...
The problem is I don't have the version or registry values of that application:confused::mad: . I just know some files that exist..so can i perform a system search and then if it is found...can i invoke the uninstall.exe in that folder??
0 Kudos
kwisent
Level 3

can some one suggest me the way to do that...

I found in some previous forums and they said that by writing a VBScript we can do that...but i don't have knowledge about that....can someone let me know where I can get the VBScript for my problem....

Thanks
Wisent
0 Kudos
HennoKeers
Level 7

kwisent wrote:
Thanks for the reply...
The problem is I don't have the version or registry values of that application:confused::mad: . I just know some files that exist..so can i perform a system search and then if it is found...can i invoke the uninstall.exe in that folder??

You could check for the install string under HLKM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and run the uninstall string commandline from there.

reg, Henno
0 Kudos