cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Remove application from "Add or Remove Programs" problem

Hi all,
I am creating an InstallScript MSI project.
I want to uninstall an previous version of application before I install the new one.
I've tried to use the uninstallstring from registry to uninstall the previsous version of application, but it doesn't remove the item from "Add or Remove Programs".
Can you teach me how to write the script to remove the application from "Add or Remove Programs"?
I am very thank you for your help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Does it behave differently if you use a major upgrade to do the uninstall-then-reinstall, instead of the registry command line?
0 Kudos
Level 4

My application got a lot of versions and I don't want to allow user to upgrade application.
When user install the application, the installer has to uninstall the exsit one first then install new one.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Right, that's what a major upgrade does: uninstall an old version or versions when the user installs the newer version. Please see the help on major upgrades for more information...
0 Kudos
Level 4

Thanks RobertDickau.
Here is example for my issue.
I create two projects A&B, but have the same name.
Both A&B got a lot of versions, but user can only install either A or B in the OS.
If User install any version of A, then install any version of B, the installer will uninstall A then install B. Or opppsite.
If I use major upgrade, the installer only uninstall A1 then install A2, but not uninstall B then install A2.
That's why i want to uninstall the product name from control panel.
Please help me....Thanks.
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to add to the Upgrade table to uninstall both product A and product B in each of the two installs. Then either will uninstall both before it installs itself. This assumes that the two products have different product codes and upgrade codes, even though they have the same name.

I'm curious, though. You said that your two products both have the same name; do they also have the same contents? If so, why do you have two different installs?
0 Kudos
Level 4

Hi KathyMorey, you are right.
The products have different contents, that's why I create two products but same name. Could you teach me how to add the two products to the upgrade table please?
0 Kudos