cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lasiewicz
Level 6

Remove an InstallScript Installer during installation

I have a customer who recently upgraded their installer from Installscript to MSI.
The problem is uninstalling the old installscript version. I have a custom action which uninstalls the old installscript installation silently with an .iss file.

This works correctly if I sequence it in the UI sequence, but in the installation sequence It doesn't work because it gives the error "another installation in progress, please finished that installation.. etc"

Many customers will push this out silently and I need to sequence this in the Installation sequence.
Anyone have an idea how to fix this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
GarrettDyer
Level 5

Wild guess: is the legacy installer possibly trying to uninstall an MSI sub-product?
0 Kudos
lasiewicz
Level 6

I don't have the code for the old installer, but I think its just a straight forward installscript installer. I have thought of some things such as uninstalling it as a prerequiste, but they need just an MSI, no setup laucher.

Any other ideas?
0 Kudos
GarrettDyer
Level 5

So you're running a custom action in the UI sequence and it executes without error, but when you run it in the Execute sequence it throws the typical error shown when you attempt to run a second MSI. That sounds like a pretty good indication that the uninstall is trying to uninstall an MSI, which you're not going to be able to do in the Execute sequence.

There are a few solutions to that problem, but all of them are going to need to fit your particular set of requirements. Sometimes we package a group of installables using a self-extracting executable (Package For Web, an ancient InstallShield product, I believe) that kicks off a vbscript after extracting the files it contains. Indigo Rose's AutoPlay product will also give you that capability, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck.
0 Kudos
lasiewicz
Level 6

Thanks to your first post I came to the same conclusion that it must be an msi. It turns out to be an InstallScript MSI. I ran the install and extracted the msi from the temp folder, cracked it open and got the upgrade code. I was then able to add a major upgrade item. This deleted everything but the add/remove programs entry. I had to delete that manually. It even deleted the InstallShieldInformation stuff. Weird.

Thanks for the hint, It helped me get this fixed. Sometimes you just need a different look at a problem.
0 Kudos