cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mleica
Level 2

Remote content fetch / remote service calls from installer

Hi,

I'm new to the installer world and I have to create an installer that connects to a remote service for license key authentication(SOAP?) and to fetch some page content (links to other 3rd party libraries that are required but cannot be bundled with the application).

I do not want to bundle the links with the installer since they'll quickly become outdated. Providing these links in the installer is a mandatory requirement for it.

I was wondering if InstallShield can handle these requirements and if you have some pointers to documentation relevant for this.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Are you targetting the .NET platform? ( This is do you already have the .NET Framework as a prereq for deploying your application? )

If so, I invoke .NET Webservices from my installs using CoCreateObjectDotNet() from within InstallScript.

As for the URL becomes invalid problem... your package could be out there for all of eternity. Your webservice needs to exist for this long also ( or for as long as you are going to collect money and service customers ) After that point you might want to either 1) have a failure mode that allows installation or 2) be prepared for pissed off customers who can't install what they paid for.
0 Kudos