cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ejcollins1
Level 2

Registry view doesn't show Wow643Node

I need my installer to create an old-fashioned DSN on the destination machine due to working with some legacy software. The registry keys to define the DSN on the destination machine need to go in the ODBC area of the Wow6432Node so that the legacy software can see them. They are already set up on the source machine, and I want to drag and drop them into the destination machine area using the Registry viewer. But the Registry viewer does not show the Wow6432Node on the source machine. Is there any way to tell the Registry viewer to show me ALL the keys on my source machine?
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

As I understand it :
Since InstallShield is only a 32bit application, it can only look at the 32bit portion of the registry.

So when you are looking at the registry view and on the "source computer's registry view" on the top

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE in InstallShield is actually looking at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node of the OS if you are using a 64bit OS.

Another way to look at it:

open the registry and navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node

Now in InstallShield look at the registry view location for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE

now compare those folder names to each other - They should match.

now compare those folder names to those found at the 64 bit location on your OS
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE - no match in installshield as this is the 64 bit location and InstallShield can't read from this location.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
ejcollins1
Level 2

Thanks jkell, that explains how it works.
0 Kudos