cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

Registry Health Check on App Start

I have a problem where I am trying to ensure that resiliency is working for certain registry entries. The health check for my application works if I delete any key files from the setup - this is expected. However, if I delete a key registry entry, the "configuring MSI " message does not come up when I double click on the advertised application shortcut.

Here is some relevant data.
1. Running repair from Programs and Features (formerly known as Add/Remove Programs) works. The registry entries are repaired correctly.
2. File resiliency works
3. Registry entries do not work correctly. Some of the registry entries have a keypath defined.
4. We are using DIM files from InstallShield Collaboration. The registry entries are created at build time by parsing through certain .reg files specified in the DIM. This process does not assign a keypath for the registry entries. However, for testing I went in and modified the MSI file to assign a few HKLM\Software\DeLorme\AppName registry names|values as key paths.
5. The health check when starting the application does not catch the missing key paths for HKLM.

For the life of me I am drawing a blank on what I need to author in order to get resiliency to work for HKLM registry entries. Any ideas on what I am missing or what help topic I need to look at for this issue? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DLee65
Level 13

Ok, with a sample project I can get the health check to work for registry keys as long as I have a primary key set. The problem is that I cannot set a primary key for DIM (developer information manifest) registry sets. DOH!

I guess I will follow-up with InstallShield directly to see if there is something I am missing. The only other solution will be to modify the MSI after it is built and then resign the package - either that is to forget about registry resiliency and tell administrators / users to run repair in Add/Remove Programs | Programs and Features. 😞
0 Kudos