cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
landsharkbark
Level 4

Registering Client DCOM Files

I see posts out there about registering DCOM components on the client, but nothing seems to be really layed out. Some people using a utility from MS, some people using the AppId table, but not saying really what to do ( and I cannot find anything). I was hoping for something simple like VB6 Package and Deployment process. Is there not something like that in IS 2008? I assume the answer is already out there I just cannot find it.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
landsharkbark
Level 4

Anybody have some links to point me to??? Feel like I have searched the entire web and nothing.
0 Kudos
landsharkbark
Level 4

I have an Activex exe (out of process server).

I tried to do what a previous post mentioned of adding a new component with the exe and extracting registry data for the component and then deleting the file (this is for the client install). But I had multiple issues with this for some reason. First it didn't seem to extract everything I needed, multiple keys where missing (not sure why). I tried multiple times and same result. I also had problems that when I would delete the exe from the component and build the registry data would disappear. I didn't have the "Extract registry data at build time" selected either.

I had a suggestion from IS support to use RegSpyUI.exe in the [IS 2008]\Support directory. I extracted the data to a registry file and imported it, but it had a few paths to the file that needed to be changed. So changed those to be pointing to the TLB file instead of the exe. And had to add the association of the CLSID and the AppId and added RemoteServerName to the AppId.

So what I have for the client...
One component with the TLB file set to "Extract Com data at build"
One component with the imported reg file from the Active exe with modifications (pointing to TBL file instead of EXE) and the addition of the RemoteServerName. There is no file in this component. The actuall exe will be installed in the server component.

If someone has another way.... I would still like to hear. All my comparing and testing was against how the Microsoft Package and Deployment Wizard was doing it.
0 Kudos