cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
landsharkbark
Level 4

Reg-free COM Wizard

I am trying to use the Reg-free COM wizard and after going through the wizard and click Finish it errors / fails with...

InstallShield 2008 - Professional Edition needs to close..... cannot recover....
Crash Details....
Exception ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005)
File: isdev.exe
Version : 14.0.0.162
..... Lots of other numbers.

I get when running the wizard on both a Windows 2000 and XP machine. I have tried different self-registering files with the same result on both machines. And cannot find anybody else with this issue on the boards at all.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

What DLL are you trying to extract COM data from?
0 Kudos
landsharkbark
Level 4

It is just an in-house custom dll.
0 Kudos
landsharkbark
Level 4

I created a new project and just added the exe and dll and ran the wizard and it worked no problem. I can try to remove stuff little by little from the current install to see what the problem is, but is there anything to try to make the narrowing a little easier?
0 Kudos
landsharkbark
Level 4

Here seems to be my problem but not sure why.
For each component (one exe and the dll), I have them installing to a directory defined in the MSI Directory table. It is called INSTANCE_PATH and set in a CA by the InstanceId. (I am using the Instance Transforms functionality). When I run the wizard, it shows the normal directories where files can possibly be installed like [AppDataFolder], [ProgramFilesFolder], [SystemFolder], and it shows my custom directory INSTANCE_PATH. So I pick INSTANCE_PATH and continue and it blows up. If I switch the components to INSTALLDIR, the run the wizard it works fine. I could switch back the directories after I build, but I don't want to have to do that for each build and have somebody remember to do that. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Can you send me your project file? It sounds like there is a case we are not handling very well. I do not need any files, just the .ism.

mmarino@macrovision.com
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Can you try the attached DLL?

First rename your version of
C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008\System\IsWsComponentWizard.dll

Then replace it with the unzipped version of the attached file.

Please let me know if this works.
0 Kudos