cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ch029448
Level 4

Redistributing SQL CE 2005 using MSI

My installation needs to redistribute .NET 2.0, SQL CE 2005, and Acrobat Reader 8.0.

Initially I had a Basic MSI which installed the aforementioned using the Setup Prerequisite functionality. Redistributing SQL CE 2005 involves launching the SSCERuntime-ENU.msi. To do this I had to launch my own installation using setup.exe (I was fine with this) as opposed to my msi (because two MSIs cannot run simultaneously)

Turns out business decisions require my install to perform actions that are not facilitated by a Basic MSI (including actions that must be taken prior to redistributables being installed).

I became necessary to move to an Installscript project. Now, attempting to redistribute these through scripting, I am unable to launch SSCERuntime-ENU.msi, even when launching my installation from setup.exe. My Build Installation settings on the Installation Designer are the same as they were for the Basic MSI.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

If I understand properly you have created a pure InstallScript installation and you want to launch the MSI you have installed.

To facilitate this I would add code to OnMoved event and call LaunchAppAndWait("msiexec.exe", "\SSCERuntime-ENU.msi", LAAW_OPTION_WAIT);

For more information on this see LaunchApplication in the help documents.
0 Kudos
eric_nemo
Level 3

How are you determining if CE 3.5 is already installed?
0 Kudos
eric_nemo
Level 3

I found that the following command line will check to make sure that it is installed and quickly exit if already installed, otherwise it will install it then exit. This is the way I am running it from my install:

msiexec /i SSCERuntime-ENU.msi /passive
0 Kudos