cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jon_ellis
Level 3

Read Only Folder

Hi,

I have built an installer which puts successfully creates my [DATABASEDIR] under a folder in [CommonAppDataFolder]

So like This
[CommonAppDataFolder]
My Company Name
[DATABASEDIR]

Under the [DATABASEDIR] directory, I create a sub directory called Reports, where my application writes out XML files. The [DATABASEDIR] directory is read/write as expected, but the sub directory I create for the reports is tagged as readonly.

So

[CommonAppDataFolder]
My Company Name
[DATABASEDIR] = Read/Write
Reports = Read Only

I am using the Installshield Limited Edition for Visual Studio 2010

Thanks

Jon
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Jon,

I have checked the attributes by creating a sample project and found that the folders have Read/Write attribute. Created a new folder under [DATABASEDIR].

[AppDataFolder] –> [My Product Name](INSTALLDIR) –> [DATABASEDIR] –> [New Folder]

And checked the attributes of the folders and attributes were Read/Write.

Could you kindly provide us a sample project so that we could investigate further?

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
sheng_jiang
Level 2

It does not look like you made the permission inheritable.

Is the installer creating the report folders or is your code creating them? If you created the folder in your code, make sure you grant the desired users write permission to the folder itself, as well as all subfolders, unless overriden by subfolders themselves.
0 Kudos
jon_ellis
Level 3

Hi,

Because I am using the LE version of install shield, the feature to set file/folder permissions is not available. Whenever I install on Windows Vista or Windows 7, all of my data files are read only. I have even set the install directory to be the users 'My documents' folder (with a sub directory) and I cannot write either to my database file (which is an mdb) or any of my report files (which are xml).

If I create a new directory in windows, copy my files to it, and point my app at that folder it all works ok!

Also if I run my app as administrator, it works ok. Can any one help? This is really urgent for me!
0 Kudos
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Jon,

Could you kindly provide us a replicable Sample project so that we could test it in-house and investigate further?

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
jon_ellis
Level 3

Hi,

I downloaded the demo of the express 2012 version, and as this is able to set folder permissions, it has solved my problem so I have now purchased this version. Not being able to set folder/file permissions in the LE version makes it pretty useless if you need a writeable data directory.

Flexera sales were good enough to offer me upgrade pricing however, which was excellent. I still think installshield is an excellent product, just not sure of the merits of the LE version. I know it's free, but folder permissions being unavailable seems a bit harsh.

Jon.
0 Kudos