cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
balakt
Level 2

REINSTALL makes features unselected in typical install

Hi All,

I'm installing a major upgrade for a product 'P1' (i have changed the product code) . Previous version of 'P1' contains feature 'PF1'. In major upgrade i have renamed the feature name from 'PF1' to 'NEWPF1' . Now when i launch msi with following command line it does not select any features in typical installation mode while in custom we can select any feature an continue insallation.

Command line -
msiexec.exe /i P1.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

Product has only one feature and there is no install condition set on it. Install level for product is set to 1 while INSTALLLEVEL property value is set to 100 by default.

Product gets upgraded properly if i use following command line -

msiexec.exe /i P1.msi

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

REINSTALL will only affect features that are currently installed, and is typically used with small updates or minor upgrades. A major upgrade is essentially a first time install, and would require ADDLOCAL be set to the list of features to install. Notice the following from the REINSTALL docs:

Note that even if REINSTALL is set to ALL, only those features that were already installed previously are reinstalled. Thus, if REINSTALL is set for a product that is yet to be installed, no installation action will take place at all.
0 Kudos