cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firmusoft
Level 5

Quick patch question...

Hi

I am working on a quick patch for a module, which is supposed to replace some files and add some new ones. The original install conditionally performs some operations (file copy, registry entries etC) based on the value of a property. This property is getting set with in a custom action which is part of the UI sequence (mapped to the Next button of a dialog)..

When applying the quick patch, (from the log) it seems like this custom action is not invoked, and so the property is not getting set correctly, which results in some of the files and registry entries to be deleted after the quick patch is applied.

Questions
1. Is there a way to set the value of a property using a quick patch project.
2. In the quick patch configuraiton, under Custom actions, what is the effect of disabling/unchecking one or more actions. If an action is disabled, does that mean this action wont be INVOKED during the patch application?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
firmusoft
Level 5

As an extension to my original post, one quick basic question...

When a quick patch is applied, are all the files removed first and then recopied (from the location of the orginal setup) and then the files in the quick patch updated?

OR

Does the quick patch JUST UPDATE THE files included in the patch in the install location in the target machine??

The log report removeactions being invoked like

Action 14:03:40: RemoveRegistryValues. Removing system registry values
Action 14:03:40: RemoveIniValues. Removing INI file entries
Action 14:03:40: RemoveShortcuts. Removing shortcuts
Action 14:03:40: RemoveEnvironmentStrings. Updating environment strings
Action 14:03:40: RemoveDuplicateFiles. Removing duplicated files
Action 14:03:40: RemoveFiles. Removing files
Action 14:03:40: RemoveFolders. Removing folders

Let us know
Thanks
0 Kudos
firmusoft
Level 5

firmusoft wrote:

2. In the quick patch configuraiton, under Custom actions, what is the effect of disabling/unchecking one or more actions. If an action is disabled, does that mean this action wont be INVOKED during the patch application?
Thanks

All

In the patch configuration, under General Information | Custom Actions, i unchecked one action that is configured to run in the Execute Sequence with the following properties (in the original install)

Return processing - Synchronous
Inscript execution - Immediate
Execution scheduling - Always

However when the patch is being applied, i am finding that this action is invoked. The help for custom actions in patch configuration says "If the check box for a custom action is disabled, that action would not normally be run during a QuickPatch installation.". So what are the "abnormal" scenarios where an unchecked action can still be invoked by the installer????
0 Kudos