cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yeeht19
Level 5

Questions about migrating from install script to MSI

Hi,

I'm trying to migrate installscript project built with installshield 11 to MSI project in installshield 2008. However, I couldn't find SUPPORTDIR in MSI project. In that case, where should I put all these files? These files are some pre-requisite software installer files that I want to install into the client pc.

Please advise.

Thanks & Regards.
HY
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
GatorBadMan
Level 4

1. In your IDE under Behavior and Logic section, click on Support Files.
2. Next in the middle column, click on Disk1
3. Now in the right pane, right click and Insert Files.

Alternatively, if you have third party installers that don't have a published MSM already, you can create your own "redistributable" also from the Redistributables feature.

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
yeeht19
Level 5

Thank you so much for your response.
But, how do I call/run these support files from Install Script?
Do i need to add it in Direct Editor-> Directory?

Actually i have tried to use Redistributables, but there is one pre-requisite software that I only check it existence, but not running any exe. Unfortunately, I can't find any solution in redistributables for this. So I change to use intall script. If you have any solution, please do let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
HY
0 Kudos
GatorBadMan
Level 4

But, how do I call/run these support files from Install Script?

But I thought you were migrating "from" it being an InstallScript project!

Anyway, I am not sure about InstallScript, but I use VB Script and access the files on the media CD the session property as shown below:

HelpFilepath = Session.Property("SourceDir") & "help\index.htm"

[I am basically using the above to access the help files that have installation help and I have coded this behind a Help button on the welcome screen]
0 Kudos
yeeht19
Level 5

Sorry to confuse you.
I'm actually migrating installScript project to MSI, but i found some issue with pre-requisite checking. The prerequisite editor can't fulfill my requirements, therefore i'm trying to move the prerequisite checking scripts from installScript project to MSI install script. However, I can't import directly, because there are directory like PACKAGE_LOCATION and SUPPORTDIR that doesn't exist in MSI.

So, my question is what should i change to replace PACKAGE_LOCATION and SUPPORTDIR? Is there any config that need to be done?

Thanks & Regards,
HY
0 Kudos