cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
codeed
Level 2

Question about Redistributables

Hello Community

I am building my first install in years, last install I made was using 3.5 on Pre .NET Delphi, easy single exe distributions.

Forgive my ignorance on this as there is a lot of fog in front of me right now on this topic.

Currently Using Visual Studio 2010 Premium / C#

I am building an install that requires:
[LIST=1]
  • .NET framework 3.5 SP1
  • SQL Server CE 3.5

Under redistributables, I have SQL CE 3.5 SP2 Checked; I assumed this would include the msi in my install. But when I look into the output folder it looks like there is a separate (GUID) folder that contains the files. Same applies to .NET Framework. So now I have two HUGE additional installs.

[LIST=1]
  • This seems to make my install require a separate self-extractor so I can include the redistributable? Am I missing something?

• This just seems way too large to distribute a simple app. Is there no option so that install shield will just download these files from the web IF needed?

If I can get someone to give me a little time to reply to this it would lift a great deal of fog and I am sure it will all click for me.

Your comments greatly appreciated - Many thanks in advance!
  • Labels (1)
    0 Kudos
    (2) Replies
    hidenori
    Level 17

InstallShield prerequisites require the Setup.exe bootstrapper that InstallShield creates. To download all of the InstallShield prerequisite files from the Internet at run-time, you need to select the "Download From The Web" option for the InstallShield Prerequisites Location setting on the Setup.exe tab for your release.

Hope that helps.
    0 Kudos
    codeed
    Level 2

Thank you for the quick reply. Took me a minute to figure it out but all is good. new to InstallShield again.

Solution was:
    Prerequisites Screen -> Check Item needed -> Right Click Item -> Select Properties -> Select Download From the Web
    0 Kudos