Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vishnupriya
Level 3

Queries regarding 64 bit installation package development

Hi,

I have some queries on developing 64 bit native install packages:

1. Whether do we need to use the same install project source(.ism) being used for developing 32 bit package for developing the 64 bit install package also?

I have read some posts explaining on how to create hybrid install project(.ism) that can be build to develop two different msi packages(one for 64 bit OS and the other for 32 bit OS) by using some appropriate release flags and also modifying some properties like Template summary and 64 bit property of the components being set to "Yes"

But the problem we face here is that, we do automated msi builds frequently through msbuild scripts , and the install project source being stored in the source control, it would be difficult to modify the Template summary property and then taking the required platform targeted build(32/64)

Can we use two different install project source(.ism) with different product GUID? Is there any problem with this approach ?

I understand the problem of maintaining consistency between the two install project source(.ism). But I am ok wiht it as our MSI is mainly targeted for shipping only files and registry entries with limited custom actions.

Can anyone please advise on whether I am on the right track?Also whether the approach of maintaining two different install source project(.ism) is acceptable/right to follow?:confused:

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

--Priya
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You can take the multiple-project route, but I would tend to suggest multiple product/release configurations. The template summary can be overridden at that level, and thus share everything else. Then you just have to choose the proper release to build and you're all set.
0 Kudos