cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndroidEthic
Level 2

Proper placement for application data and user settings files for Win7/Vista/XP insta

I have been struggling with my Win32 application data directories (for quite some time). Specifically I cant seem to get the right folders for putting program, settings, and data files for my application in the right places. Admittedly I have come from the old school DOS era so I have been putting off the multi user and security best practices but due to the amount of users I have to support, it is time to do this right.

Here is what I need to do: Have my windows application (XP/Vista/7) be usable by All Users on a machine to share the data (database, files and settings) so that all users can run the program under standard User rights and privileges. To accomplish this are these the correct places for my installer and program to use:

%PROGRAMFILES% = where all the prgrom executable and static files such as dll and other modules that are not changeable by the user or the application itself. (NOTE: Since My application is a 32bit application in 64-bit OS installs this would be %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%)

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\MyApp = where all the database files, settings files, license files and user data files such as created data and report data.

Is this the proper way?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
GetExp
Level 6

I feel that is right. With the application files (dlls) program files hold the proper path and regarding the settings and license files... using the allusersprofile may not be helpful since the settings file may be different for various user accounts.

Instead I believe, the UserProfile can be used.
0 Kudos