cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sks2004
Level 4

Programs and Features-repair and Uninstall within Vista

Repairing/reinstall (ARP-repair or auto-repair) within Vista will install per User because the install doesn't have elevated rights, even if ALLUSERS=1 originally and for the reinstall. Any ideas about how to overcome this? This causes havoc.

After the app is installed then re-running the original setup.exe will effectively reinstall, because Vista auto-elevates for setup.exe's, etc... How can I make ARP-repair function without error within Vista?

This also occurs with uninstall. I am experiencing an unfriendly error:
[HTML]"Error 2753. The File 'agent.exe.6ED28686_7B19_420C_B255_5B6C1BD2C705' is not marked for installation."[/HTML]

Running the uninstall from the cmd.exe (running it as Admin): msiexec /X {ProductCode} is successful. Running uninstall from Programs and Features results in this error, on some of my test machines. BTW; we are installing the latest FLEXnet Connect 6.1 merge module.

Help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
sks2004
Level 4

I'd also like to add: after running an auto-repair, I can uninstall then reinstall (from scratch), and the app will never run, but instead is stuck within a Windows Installer auto-repair loop. This is a Vista only issue; everything works fine on non-Vista machines... and appeared to work fine via IS11 built installations.
0 Kudos
sks2004
Level 4

This is definately a rights issue. Running through these tests on a clean machine that had UAC disabled works perfectly... no problems. It's possible that if all of my EXEs contained an embedded manifest requiring admin... that everything would also work, although I haven't tested that scenario yet.

It seems that the ARP-repair and auto-repair should run elevated, prompting for admin-allow... but it doesn't.

Any ideas how I can fix this horrible auto-repair problem?
0 Kudos
sks2004
Level 4

Embedding a vista manifest within the installed main app's EXE, requiring Admin solves the problem.

xmlns=”urn:schema-microsoft-com:asm.v3”>

Level=”requireAdministrator”
uiAccess=”false”/>

Although our Product Management won't allow us to ship this way... which means I need to find a real solution. Any ideas?
0 Kudos