cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Courtney11
Level 3

Product Name Change

I have product originally installed with express 12 - recently updated to 2008 professional... support won't reply.

I need to change the following and not sure which type of install is best suited:

1. product name in add/remove in control panel
2. Change shortcut icon and names both on desktop and programs menu

I would love to change INSTALLDIR from programfiles\old product name

to programfiles\new product name

I have been playing around and can get a few things to work but not all together in nice flow.

Does anyone have a sample project of this or sample msi etc.??? any help would be GREATLY appreciated since our paid support contract seems to be worthless.

Thanks in advance:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

This might require an uninstall-then-reinstall, so a major upgrade in a Basic MSI project might do the trick. The InstallShield and MSI help libraries have information about defining major upgrades...
0 Kudos
Courtney11
Level 3

While I appreciate your reply I am looking for specific information and examples - not the general information I have already read in help files.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

As far as how-to information for major upgrades goes, in your updated MSI project you can open the Media > Upgrades view, create a new major upgrade item, selecting "Products having another Upgrade Code", and then browsing for the older MSI. At run time, the FindRelatedProducts action checks for the existing older product, and the RemoveExistingProducts action removes any qualifying products on the system.

What have you tried? You mention that parts of it worked...
0 Kudos