cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eranca
Level 2

Problems with XML editing

Hi,

I am a newb to IS and I am having a problem with the XML file editing feature.
What I want to do is to edit a file that has already been copied by the project to the target machine and change an XML value.
What I did is:
1. Pointed to the file and and imported the key that I wanted to edit
2. I then changed the target directory to the one right one
When running the setup I get the following error in a popup: "Unexpected error updating XML files. Error: 3"
I went through the threads and saw things that looked similar but the advise there unfortunately could not help.
Any ideas?

Thanx

Eran
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MalaKarthik
Level 3

*Check whether the feature to which the xml file belongs is selected.[In the xml file changes view].

*Try changing the name of the xml. Check if a xml file with the new name is created and the keys you are updating are present. This may help in sorting out where the problem lies.

*Check if the destination directory of the xml is properly set.

*If the above does not help, try setting the values using the Direct Editor view.

Regards,
Mala Karthik
0 Kudos
eranca
Level 2

MalaKarthik wrote:
*Check whether the feature to which the xml file belongs is selected.[In the xml file changes view].

*Try changing the name of the xml. Check if a xml file with the new name is created and the keys you are updating are present. This may help in sorting out where the problem lies.

*Check if the destination directory of the xml is properly set.

*If the above does not help, try setting the values using the Direct Editor view.

Regards,
Mala Karthik

First of all thanx for the quick answer.
Regarding what you wrote above:
1. The component is picked
2. If I change the XML file name then I get a new file in the right directory with the XML change
3. The destination is OK
4. What do you mean by direct editor view?

Eran
0 Kudos
MalaKarthik
Level 3

*There are 2 ways for editing the xml 1. Using "XML File Changes" option under "General Configuration" & 2.Using "Direct Editor" under "Additional Tools".Under that there are tables like Isxml element,Isxml attributes, etc... You can go ahead and edit the values there.

*You said in the other reply that you were able to create a new xml without any issue. So, minor settings changes must be required. Verify the Destination settings in both "XML File Changes" view as well as the Components view.
0 Kudos
fowlesp
Level 3

One thing I noticed with the XML editor in IS-2008..

According to the help, you only need to import the nodes your interested in into the XML view, but this failed to update the document during installation.

Try importing the _entire_ XML document in to the XML view in IS-2008, then setting the node or attributes your interested in
0 Kudos