cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manicfiddler
Level 3

Problems with IIS installs after upgrade to IS 2010

Hi All,

I have been successfully using InstallShield Professional since version 7 and have now upgraded from 2009 to 2010.

Sadly now none of my virtual roots or virtual applications install. My first step to diagnose was to create a little test project with a single virtual root and examine the data to see what differences there were.

I found that in the new project, ISIISItem.Type would be 1, 2 (, 3, 4) whereas in my upgraded project it was 0x80000001, 0x80000002 etc.

I corrected this and was still getting the same error so I deleted all my IIS stuff and re-created it (not something I care to repeat often!) and STILL get the same problem, which is:

Extract from log file:

Action 13:38:59: Progress Custom Action. Creating IIS virtual directory MCS
InstallShield 13:38:59: Creating item 'MCS' with virtual directory 'MCS', website '1', and physical path: 'APPLICATIONS'
InstallShield 13:38:59: CreateVirtualDirectory: creating virtual directory 'MCS' ('') with physical path 'APPLICATIONS'
InstallShield 13:38:59: Creating virtual dir with path 'MCS' and physicalPath 'APPLICATIONS.
InstallShield 13:38:59: PutPropertyValue: sProperty physicalPath sValue APPLICATIONS bIsPath 0
InstallShield 13:38:59: PutPropertyCommon: sProperty physicalPath sValue APPLICATIONS bIsPath 0
InstallShield 13:38:59: Setting property 'physicalPath' to value 'APPLICATIONS' for element 'virtualDirectory'. Old value: ''. m_sSectionName : 'system.applicationHost/sites'.
InstallShield 13:38:59: getvaluelog
InstallShield 13:38:59: put_value succeeded. get_StringValue now returns '0' with string value 'APPLICATIONS'.
InstallShield 13:38:59: SetVRtStrProperty for property '3001' with value 'APPLICATIONS'.
InstallShield 13:38:59: AppHostElement objects detected. Unsupported property.
InstallShield 13:38:59: CommitChanges for path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/MCS' and physical path 'APPLICATIONS'.
InstallShield 13:38:59: CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-2147024893'. The system cannot find the path specified. Physical path not found.
InstallShield 13:38:59: put_Value determined that property is not actually changing, so ignore CommitChanges failure.
InstallShield 13:38:59: CommitChanges for path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/MCS' and physical path 'APPLICATIONS'.
InstallShield 13:38:59: CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-2147024893'. The system cannot find the path specified. Physical path not found.
InstallShield 13:38:59: Error with IISRT: -2147024893. Error translation: The system cannot find the path specified.
Action ended 13:38:59: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

It would seem that the directory identifier in ISIISProperty.MetaDataValue (where FriendlyName='Path') is not being resolved as 'APPLICATIONS' is a key to Directory in my project.

I have checked through the sequence tables to make sure there was nothing out of order compared to the brand new working test project, but whilst there were a few minor things that I have now reordered, I could not see anything that would cause this and I still have this failure.

Help please?!?!?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
manicfiddler
Level 3

Not to worry. Problem solved: the APPLICATIONS folder was a folder being installed by a different release config. I presume this to be down to the fact that in IS2009 all folder names were resolved whereas in 2010 only the ones you are installing get resolved?

I added an entry to CreateFolder for the component that needed it and that fixes that problem.

However, I now get an access denied on a different virtual root which seems to be where it is trying to write web.config in a folder just created???

Digging continues....
0 Kudos
manicfiddler
Level 3

Ok ok, sorted that one too!
0 Kudos