cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter_17
Level 2

Problems when executing SQL-scripts during installation

Hello,

We use InstallShield 2008 Premier and some of our customer are facing the following problem, for most of them it works fine:

When executing the SQL-scripts defined in InstallShield the following error message is displayed:
'There was an unexpected error running SQL scripts. Setup will now terminate'
... then this Dialogbox:
'DoRollbackAll'
... and the installation aborts.

What we want do is to execute an sql script on a local MS SQL-Server 2005. I have checked 'SQL server' in the requirements tab without specifying a special version.
When I try to target only version 11 (which doesn't exist, of course) in the requirements, I get the same inexpressive error message; seems to be the only error message on SQL problems.

The SQL server is running on the problematic computers and the corresponding scripts can be executed from the commandline via SQLCMD without any problems.

Any help on this problem would be appreciated.
Are there logfiles where I could get a more specific description of the error?
Or is there some possibility to finish the rest of the installation when this error occurs (it's a minor error, the installation should continue)?

Thanks in advance,
Peter
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
rasky74
Level 6

Does the install log (verbose) give any more information?
0 Kudos
jchristman
Level 8

There differances in the way a script is handled when imported or inserted into installshield, If you have the scripts prewritten and they work ok, then you must use the insert script method to bring the script into the project.

This would be the first thing I would check on. also on the script you can check the system to either rollback if statment error or move to the next statement in the script.
0 Kudos
Peter_17
Level 2

Hello,

Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the problem; so I cannot read a log file. The problem occurs on the computers of only a few customers.
For the moment I solved the problem by not using the InstallShield-Module 'SQL-scripts' but to execute the scripts via Installscript using SQLCMD.

@jchristman:
I have been using the 'insert script' method. And the option 'On error, Goto next statement' has been specified.

I don't think the scripts are the problem. As I wrote, the setup throws the same error when specifying version 11 of MS SQL Server (which does not exist) as a requirement. The cause for the error should be clear, but an inexpressive standard error message is displayed. All SQL errors seem to be 'unexpected' without any further information.
So I assume InstallShield could have a problem in checking the server version on some computers? Maybe some Windows patches which prevent Installshield from contacting the SQL-Server?

@Macrovision:
Is it that difficult to display expressive error messages? That's what I expect from standard software at this price level.

Regards,
Peter
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

In fact, InstallShield displays a descriptive error message as attached. I verified it with all project types that support the SQL Scripts feature including InstallShield 2008 Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, and InstallScript projects. Please test it by creating a new project and adding only a SQL connection with a version minimum requirment that will cause a connection error.

Regards.
0 Kudos