cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ckurz7000
Level 2

Problems including dependency files

I am using InstallShield Spring 2012 with Visual Studio 2012.

My question ought to have an embarassingly simple answer but I have been banging my head against the wall for hours without success. Here it is:

I have a setup project which deploys a basic MSI project. The project requires a certain dll to be present in the system32 folder. I went to the "Files" page made sure the [SystemFolder] displays in the "destination computer" pane, right clicked and chose Add... Navigated to my dll (which resides within the project directory structure) and added it to the [SystemFolder] of the destination computer. Size and Link To data look fine.

Upon building the project I get a warning -6248, which is explained as: "Warning -6248: Could not find dependent file [1], or one of its dependencies of feature [2]".

If I manually put the file system32 folder on my development machine, it doesn't show up in the "Souce computer's files" when I navigate there.

No matter where I put the file (and I've tried quite a few locations) InstallShield doesn't seem to be able to find it.

Can someone point me in the right direction, please????

Thanks, and Happy Holidays,

-- Chris.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
GrantK
Level 7

Hi Chris,

Usually if a dependency file is need in your application, this means there is merge module or prerequisite that needs to be installed with your application. For example: if you need to have a dll name foo.dll and .net framework 4.0 installs this file, then you would include .net framework 4.0 prerequisite into your application.

Grant
0 Kudos