cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisMDrew
Level 2

Problems creating an Upgrade

Hi,

I have been creating upgrade installations for my product for years with no issues but now I can't get one to work!

I have created a basic MSI installer which creates a .exe installation. Normally when I want to create a new installation (which works both as a full installer and will upgrade an existing installation), I simply update the necessary files and change the Product Version. A new package code is generated as I do the build.

I have done the same for this build but now when I run the installation (from Windows Explorer) I get a message stating that the Installation is being resumed and when complete I realise that my updated files have not been copied - the installation runs very quickly also.

What is also odd is that if I click within Installshield on Build>Run Release it behaves very differently - it first says 'Removing old version' and then correctly installs the upgrade version.

I'd welcome any help as I don't understand why the Installation runs correctly within InstallShield but not from the generated executable nor do I understand why the files are not being updated as this process has always worked before!

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DebbieL
Level 17

When you are launching the upgrade from within InstallShield, you are likely taking advantage of special behavior: The Preferences tab in the Options dialog box (which you can launch by clicking Options on the Tools menu) has a setting that lets you specify that you want to uninstall the product automatically before installing the product by launching it from the Build menu. This behavior is turned on by default.

So, when that functioanlity is turned on, you may not see the same behavior that you'd see on "real" target systems.

It sounds like you need to change the product code of your upgrade. When you are building a major upgrade (that uninstalls the earlier version before installing the new version if the earlier verison is present, or that installs as a first-time install on a clean machine), the product code needs to be changed. The following help topic explains each of the codes (product, upgrade, etc.) and which ones need to be changed, depending on which type of upgrade you are creating.
Major Upgrade vs. Minor Upgrade vs. Small Update
0 Kudos