cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SBuder
Level 3

Problem with silent install

Hi There,

I've just created my first setup and ran into some trouble with silent installion. The normal setup runs almost fine. However if I start the silent installtion with the recorded answer file (setup.iss) setup finishs with a ResultCode of 0. Nevertheless the application wasn't installed.

I add both setup logfiles, perhaps anybody may find the reason.

Log of failed silent installation:

1: Reading the SQL script data from ISSQLConnection table...
MSI (c) (48:4C) [18:39:43:527]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying IS_SQLSERVER_AUTHENTICATION property. Its current value is '0'. Its new value: '1'.
1: Beginning SQL Server Costing Process...
1: Reading the SQL script data from ISSQLConnection table...
1: ISSQLRequirement table does not exist...
1: Finished SQL Server Costing Process...
MSI (c) (48:4C) [18:39:45:855]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding IS_SQLSERVER_STATUS property. Its value is '0'.
MSI (c) (48:4C) [18:40:13:911]: Entering MsiProvideComponentFromDescriptor. Descriptor: F01%A8w$d@()CZ0URwexAlwaysInstall_0409>~t%v!W8C^?tiY0m66Zj,, PathBuf: 189E00, pcchPathBuf: 189DFC, pcchArgsOffset: 189D5C
MSI (c) (48:4C) [18:40:13:990]: MsiProvideComponentFromDescriptor is returning: 0
InstallShield 18:40:14: Script rundown...
MSI (c) (48:4C) [18:40:14:080]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (c) (48:B8) [18:40:14:871]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
=== Verbose logging stopped: 27.01.2012 18:40:15 ===

here stops the silent install where the non silent installation instead continues with:

=== Verbose logging started: 27.01.2012 19:15:01 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 5.00.7601.00 Calling process: C:\Install\MBS5 Setup.exe ===
MSI (c) (CC:B4) [19:15:01:533]: Resetting cached policy values
MSI (c) (CC:B4) [19:15:01:533]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI (c) (CC:B4) [19:15:01:533]: ******* RunEngine:
******* Product: C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\{E6C26CAF-7D41-488E-8559-784E5548A0A9}\mbs5.msi
******* Action:
******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (c) (CC:B4) [19:15:01:534]: Client-side and UI is none or basic: Running entire install on the server.
MSI (c) (CC:B4) [19:15:01:534]: Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (CC:B4) [19:15:01:536]: Cloaking enabled.

So why does silent installation does not execute the packaged msi ?

Any advices would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

MSI projects don't use ISS files. That's for InstallScript projects. To install an MSI silently you just say

msiexec /i someproduct.msi /qn
0 Kudos
SBuder
Level 3

Hi,

the project is an installscript msi project with an embedded msi and it worked just fine with silent install. Well after adding a custom prerequisite of crystal reports runtime v. 13 (just another msi to install before the actual software) the setup just broke. The crystal runtime is installed but when it comes to the point where the main program should be installed setup just stops working. I've taken a look to the windows task- / resourcemanager it seems that the embedded msi is extracted but then the setup process ends for some reason.
0 Kudos
SBuder
Level 3

Ok ... I've just tried silent install without the Crystal Runtime as prerequisite which ends up in the same result. So I think it's not a matter of this runtime, but what else may prevent the msi from being executed ?

The logfile after silent installation says that no error occured, but I found several posts where this file contains some application information too. Things like ApplicationName and version.

[ResponseResult]
ResultCode=0

Any advices !?
0 Kudos
SBuder
Level 3

Ok ... after 3 days of analystics, confusion and annoyance I might have found the reason.

The issue seems to be with the naming of the .msi and .exe file. Imagine the following situation.

I let IS 2012 create a msi file named mbs5.msi and a setup launcher name MBS5 Setup.exe

Well here seems to be the problem which prevents the msi from being executed during a silent installation. So the problem has to be in naming the msi / exe files which either has to be equal or have some trouble when a part of the filename of the setup launcher equals the msi filename.

I hope some developer will take a look at this post and they will take time to analyse this issue
0 Kudos