cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lurean
Level 8

Problem with relative path variables at build time.

I have encountered a rather annoying problem when building my IS projects on our buildserver.

I have several path variables assigned so I can supply the correct paths on the command line at build time. I have a standard path variable that points to the root folder and I have other standard path variables that build on this to point to specific folders. If I change the root folder value using the standalone build command line build, the specific folders are still pointing at the old value. It is like they are being evaluated before the change is made to the root folder path variable.

example

ROOT ="C:\rootSource"
Images = "\Images"

if I supply "D:\otherSource" for the ROOT path variable at buildtime it is still looking for images in "C:\rootSource\Images"

has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a solution other than explicitly setting every path variable in the project?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

Has nobody else seen this problem?

if you have seen this problem how did you solve it?

I find it hard to believe that I am doing something so different from most users that this is the first time this problem has been discovered. Given the number of people using Installshield.

any help offered would be appreciated.

James
0 Kudos
rasky74
Level 6

What does your command line look like?
0 Kudos
Lurean
Level 8

the commandline I use is basically

ISCMDBLD.exe -p -l ROOT=D:\otherSource -a -r -o

as I said the ROOT value is getting changed but any other path variables that reference ROOT are not updating.

James
0 Kudos
rasky74
Level 6

That looks correct. I would just specify each path variable on the commandline and see if that works. MIght be a bug, might be how it intended.
0 Kudos
Lurean
Level 8

yeah,

I was hoping to avoid having to specify each subpath individually as there are quite a few of them. According to the documentation relative paths should work and there is nothing about having to do anything special to make them function as they should from commandline builds done on other machines. I am guessing this is a bug.

James
0 Kudos
Lurean
Level 8

This has been acknowledged as a bug.

I have found a workaround for now that will let me continue. I have started using environment variable path variables for the root directories. And then in my command line build scripts I am setting the local environment variables to the values I need. Since the environment variables are set before the project is loaded they successfully overwrite the values to point to the new locations.

James
0 Kudos