cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Franzw
Level 3

Problem with installing SQL Server Express 2008 silently

Can anyone give me a clue about how to install the prerequisite “SQL Server Express 2008 SP1” completely unattended?
I'm including all prequisites into the setup.

In the view for prerequisites, I checked for SQL Server Express 2008
In the prerequisite editor, tab Application to run, the first command line, I have:
/ACTIONS=Install /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ERRORREPORTING=1 /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=SQLExpress /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
The second command line is for running in silent mode, I have:
/QS

When I combine all these options and run it from a bat-file the SQL server installs nicely, but when using the IS I get the error message: "The installation of SQL Server… appears to have failed.” If I choose to continue, the final message is SQL Server must be installed to complete my installation.

What am I doing wrong?

Looking forward for advices.
Cheers
Franz
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
JanVen
Level 3

I use this when I install R2 Express:

/QUIETSIMPLE /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN /ACTION=install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER /SQLSVCACCOUNT="LOCAL SERVICE" /SAPWD=HerIsMySAPW /SECURITYMODE=SQL

And in silent:

/QUIET /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN /ACTION=install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER /SQLSVCACCOUNT="LOCAL SERVICE" /SAPWD=HerIsMySAPW /SECURITYMODE=SQL

And then I get the SQL server installed.

But my installation stops and then I have to restart it manually - I'm working on a solution for this.

/Jan
0 Kudos
JanVen
Level 3

I got it to work - by creating my own Prerequisites from scratch, using a SQL Express downloaded from MS's site - I can't get Installshields to work at all 😞

/Jan
0 Kudos
Franzw
Level 3

Hi
Strange and irritating, this command line, run by a bat-file installs SQL Server Express nicely:
call SQLEXPR32_x86_ENU.exe /Action=Install /QS="True" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS="True" /ERRORREPORTING=true /Features=SQL /InstanceName=SQLExpress

When adding the same parameters to the IS prerequisite command line specification:
/Action=Install /QS="True" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS="True" /ERRORREPORTING=true /Features=SQL /InstanceName=SQLExpress

does not install SQL and even though I played around with the parameters, I can't get it working.:mad:

Should I create my own prerequisite that implements my bat-file with the command line that works? Would that do the trick? Any other work-around idea?

Thanks and cheers
Franz
0 Kudos
JanVen
Level 3

As I wrote - build your own - even if I use the same parameters, my own PreReq (where I downloaded the SQL server directly from MS) works and the one build in from Flexera doesn't 😞

/Jan
0 Kudos
Franzw
Level 3

Thanks for your confirmation, Jan !

Franz
0 Kudos
stone386
Level 2

Did anyone ever have success with this?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

SQL Express supports using an INI file to drive the installation variation points in leiu of command line arguments. It might be easier to try to go down that road.
0 Kudos
bobmcm461
Level 6

Note: I have already tried creating my own Prereq, but get the same result. At the end of the SQL Server installation, the installation just stops.

has anyone had any success in finding a resolution to this problem. What I have been able to find out is that the installation needs a reboot, but it just stops at that point, and terminates the entire installation.

Any suggestions would be a help.

Thanks,
Robert M.
0 Kudos