cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rittjc
Level 4

Problem with custom software condition...

I need to check a registry value to see if it is set to a specific version and refuse install if it is the incorrect version. Is there a way to do this with the custom software conditions?

Jim
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Sure, you can do this with a System Search with an associated Install Condition. Well, mostly--there's no built-in support for treating version strings as version comparisons here, so you'd have to settle for a string comparison.
0 Kudos
rittjc
Level 4

Text comparison is fine. The problem with a Version comparison is that the way versions are expressed are wide open. You would either have to define the format would allow for a range comparison or would have to have a complicated why of letting the user specify the numerical information in the string. I think that comparing a string will suffice for me.

One thing that would be nice is if the user could invoke a script passing the value in to it and it return a bool to say condition met or not met. Then he could tailor it to whatever he would want.

Just a thought for brainstorming of future features to add.

Thanks,
Jim
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

That's already available by inserting a custom action between the two steps, and probably changing the condition on the launch condition (or type 19 error action). I say that because generally you would want your custom action to modify a different property, although it is certainly possible to make a custom action that normalizes the string representation of the version in its original property.
0 Kudos