cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mehdi4467
Level 3

Problem in change CD to DVD

Hi dear,
I don't know where I can ask this question, but I think has relation with this forum,

I have one software that it is in 3 CD, so I want writes all of them in one DVD, but when I install from DVD during installation it prompt " please insert disk 2",
I think this problem is for Lable of CD, because when I change name of DVD to Name of second CD and install again, installation continued until prompts " please insert disk 3".
I attached setup.exe and I rhink I must change some in this file, but I don't know how can I do it.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

You would need to rebuild the media to use a DVD sized release instead of a CD. Otherwise, the existing media was expecting to reach a certain point and then require the next disk.
0 Kudos
mehdi4467
Level 3

thanks for your reply,
but how can I rebuild it?
I have not source of it.

thanks
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Hmm, I am wondering what would happen if you created folders on the root of the DVD and named them Disk 1, Disk 2, Disk 3.

Copy the contents of Disk1 to Disk3 in the appropriate folders.
Finally create an autorun.ini file that opens the setup.exe in the Disk 1 folder.

I know this works if I stage my setup like this on a network resource.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

To be able to rebuild the setup with a different release type would require the original project and sources. Unfortunately, there isn't any straight-forward way of changing this without rebuilding. You may try the following:
1. Make a backup copy of your MSI package.
2. Open the new MSI in InstallShield or Orca.
3. Change the Media table to have one entry (assuming you are using one DVD).
4. Change the LastSequence column value to the highest number of all the rows in the existing MSI package's Media table.
5. Change the volume label to match the DVD volume label (or ensure the label of the DVD matches the Media table).
6. Copy the MSI and all the source files onto a DVD. The source files should be at the same relative paths from the location of the MSI as the original CDs.

Note that as long as the Media table contains individual entries with file sequences and disk volume labels, and you are running the installation from removable media (DVD, CD, etc.), Windows Installer will continue to prompt for the next disk when it reaches the end of files on the current disk.
0 Kudos
mehdi4467
Level 3

I could solve it,
I open msi file with winhex program an find 3th CD lable and change it to second CD lable, then write all file in DVD and the lable of DVD is Second CD label, with this way the problem solved. although we can rename the second and 3th CD lable to a same name and put this name on DVD.

thanks
0 Kudos