cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chetan
Level 3

Preventing Installation of Lower Version over Higher Version

Greetings Friends,

Coming straight to point; we have developed the project using InstallScript MSI Project in Installshield 2008 Premier Edition. In the project we have added a condition so that the older version should not be installed on Higher version and i got this info form the below link

http://helpnet.acresso.com/robo/projects/installshield14helplib/PreventingDowngrades.htm

The problem we are facing is consider the fresh project in which the Product version will be 1.0.0925.1 and condition is added to avoid higher version over lower. To add that condition i got it from the above link; along with this in the Common Tab of Major Upgrade i have ENABLED the upgrade prompt; because in future new setup comes with 1.0.0925.2 it should ask for upgrade.

Now i will create new setup with product version 1.0.0925.2 and Under the Major Upgrade's Common tab i will disable the prompt because; if user tries to install 1.0.0925.1 over 1.0.0925.2 it should not allow; in that case it is working fine; a pop is saying "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, Use Add/Remove Programs on the control Panel. {2D0E6C46-1CC2-4174-8AAC-0B39312D8ECE}"

Now after some days there will be change and again another setup will be created with the version 1.0.0925.3 in that the prompt for the upgrade will be disabled. Now i try to install 1.0.0925.3 over 1.0.0925.2 obviously it should get Upgrade; but here the problem arises instead of asking "The setup will perform Upgrade" it will tell
"Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, Use Add/Remove Programs on the control Panel. {2D0E6C46-1CC2-4174-8AAC-0B39312D8ECE}"
That is it is not allowing to get Upgraded since i have disabled the prompt of 1.0.0925.2. If i enable this then any setup is ran every time it will be asking for Upgrade either it is on Lower Version over Higher Version or Higher Version over Lower Version.

i hope u all understood the this issue...

Please help in this context. even i thought of checking the product version in Installscript but i don't know how to approach even some how if i managed to get product version of already installed setup as well current running setup. but how do i change the prompt of the Upgrade at runtime since it is set at design time..

Please help..:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This is due to the exact version numbers your test case is using. From the documentation on the ProductVersion property: "Note that Windows Installer uses only the first three fields of the product version. If you include a fourth field in your product version, the installer ignores the fourth field."
0 Kudos
Qingsong
Level 5

The document, mentioned that "When you create a new Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI project, InstallShield automatically adds support for preventing the current installation from overwriting a future major version: ".

However, I am using IS2008 Provessional, this auto-creation of "ISPreventDowngrade" only occured for Basic MSI, not for InstallScript MSI project.

Is it a documentation error, or I need to upgrade my IS 2008 Prof. edition to have this feature available for InstallScript MSI project as well?

Thanks,
0 Kudos