[Incident]: Some users report they are unable to access the case portal. Please see this community notice for more information.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillV9201
Level 2

Prerequisite not running during an upgrade

My project type is "InstallScript Project".

I have an existing application that is installed. For my most recent version, I've added a prerequisite for .Net 4.0.

If I install onto a machine as a new install, the prerequisite runs fine when it is needed to be run.

But on a machine that is upgrading, the prerequisite does not run. Is there any way around this, or a setting I am missing? Or do I need to run it manually? If so, how do I run a prerequisite manually?

Or will I need to check myself if .Net 4.0 is not installed, and then run the .net 4.0 install myself? If so, what would I need to check on the machine for the existence of .Net 4.0?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Videstra
Level 6

Try treating it like a Major upgrade - generate a new Product Code (Don't change the upgrade code).
Be sure to save the current Product Code in case you need to revert to it for some reason.
The upgrade will then run more like a new install on top of the old version.

I pretty much do this for all of my upgrades.

Des
0 Kudos
BillV9201
Level 2

Thanks for the response, that is one option I can try.

But it still doesnt make sense why a prerequisite would not run during an upgrade. You should have that ability, yu would have to think that its possible that newer versions of your application can have new prerequisites.
0 Kudos
Videstra
Level 6

I'm far from an expert (I can't even see one from here 😉 ) but I think that is one of the "rules" of a major upgrade. If the prerequisites change then you really need to promote your installer to major upgrade status.
Let me know if this works for you.
0 Kudos
ZygoCorp
Level 6

I encountered this myself last year - very very frustrating. I had to code my own checks and installs for updates in my InstallScript program!!

Anyway, after 11 months, InstallShield finally acknowledged the bug and here is the incident information for you to monitor - Good Luck:

I've have checked with our Engineering team about the issue you raised, and they have accepted this as a bug to be resolved in a future release of InstallShield.
When a future release is launched, all bug fixes will be displayed in the Release Notes. Please check these Release Notes, by searching for this issue number: IOB-000058418. The Release Notes can be found on our web site, via the following web page:
InstallShield: Resources:
http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/installshield/resources.htm
0 Kudos