cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcom36
Level 7

Prerequisite conditions for SQL Server Native Client?

Does anyone know by chance the prerequisite conditions to make sure the SQL Server Native Client gets installed (sqlncli.msi)?

I tried to put a condition on the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Native Client\CurrentVersion but unfortunately, when uninstalling the native client, this registry key remains.

So I added a second condition to check if [SystemFolder]sqlncli.dll exists, but this dll remains as well after uninstalling.

Any other ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
tcom36
Level 7

I solved part of the problem. Instead of checking for [SystemFolder]sqlncli.dll, I check for [SystemFolder]sqlncli.chm which seems to be one of the few files

But I am now on a second problem.

In the prerequisite editor, I have:
- Files to include: sqlncli.msi
- Application to run:
Specify the command line for the application:
msiexec /i sqlncli.msi /qn

When I then execute the setup.exe, I get the requester about the prerequisite for SQL Native Client, but when it should be installed, I get immediately an error, something like "Installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Native Client failed."

What am I doing wrong, can't I just call the sqlncli.msi in that way?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

In the Application to run tab, I think that you need to select "sqlncli.msi" in the Specify the application you wish to launch combo box and specify "/qn" in the Specify the command line for the application edit box.
0 Kudos
tcom36
Level 7

Great, thank you, now it works. I thought I had to put msiexec, but this seems to be done automagically.
0 Kudos