cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jchristman
Level 8

Prerequirements

Hello all, I am new to installshield 2008. I have a an application that I would like to wrap all the prerequiements up into the installer. It requires windows installer 3.1, .net framework 1.1 and .net framework 2.0, MDAC 2.8, IE7 and then a couple of thrid part installs that requires input.

I have the package installing mdac 2.8 as a prereq and .netframework 1.1 is installed as a preq when i build the release. inside my redistributables I do not have the .net 1.1, .net 2.0 or the installer 3.1 how can i check for all of these and install them if needed and then execute the 3rd party installs in silent mode waiting for each to finish before installing the next. there are three total.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
jchristman
Level 8

Ok, I figured out to create prerequisites and get them to install but how do you go about passign commands to them so they run automatically.

Example including IE7 as prereq, as a prerequisite how do i get this to just install with out user interaction and not reboot.
0 Kudos
jchristman
Level 8

When creating or editing a prequisite that I have built

I am try to make the files run silent

after choosing the application to run. expample sql_2005_native_client.exe

i added to the section that says command line when running silent
msiexec /i sql_2005_native_client.exe /qn

nothing, it still requires manul interfacing.
how can I fix this
0 Kudos
Airbaal
Level 3

I'm learning how to do pre-requisites myself so I'm not sure if this information is correct, but can't you just run the EXE file directly? For example, when I install .NET Framework using a pre-req, in Application to Run i just pick the actual dotnetfx.exe file and put: /q:a /c:"install /q" for the command line so it's silent.
0 Kudos
jchristman
Level 8

Airbaal where do you add the files and run them from. I started with a basic MSI install project and cannot find how to get into the script to make changes to execute a command like that.
0 Kudos
Airbaal
Level 3

Just make a pre-requisite (Tools menu > Prerequisite Editor). Then add your condition to the condition tab (such as looking for a system registry entry), and then in the "Files to Include" tab, select the .exe file you want to run. Then in the "Application to Run" tab, select the application you want to run, and you can enter the command line parameters under it.

Hope that helps!
0 Kudos
jchristman
Level 8

This is how i was creating the prerequisite I changed over to the msi file package and now using the command line section under the file to run selection I entered in

msiexec /i sqlncli.msi /qn

I now get the msi help text showing up but I cannot figure out what is wrong with the statement.

Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
jchristman
Level 8

Here is the output it is trying to actually run

msiexec.exe /i "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\{B80F7D33-33C5-4EE5-B541-2F7806F1E46E}\{0D281702-7384-4C94-96FB-DC4F82DB8BDB}\sqlncli.msi" msiexec /i sqlncli.msi /qn

changed the command line section to just

/qn

This fixed it.
🙂 Thanks for you help Airbaal.

I am sure I will have plent more questions.
0 Kudos