cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Awolf401
Level 4

Prereq problems

Yet again I need help as I learn this software. I have two requirments left and they are causing me problems. :confused:

1) I need to install .net framework 3.5 sp1 but higher ups don't want that big of a file to be included with the package. I have been told that there is a way to just download what you need from microsoft. ie if the user just has framework 3.0 it would just upgrade what it needed.

2) I need to search for an adobe reader 5.0 higher and up and if it doesnt find it to install it. However, again I want to avoid building my project with the large exe file.

I am doing a basic msi project and building it as an executable. This project will be used to install clients remotely so file size is a bigger deal then bandwidth. I realize that number two will probably have to include a system scan looking in the registry for an adobe reader key but from there I dont know how to initiate the install without the bulky framework. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Dan_Galender
Level 10

After selecting a Prerequisite, if you right-click on it and select Properties, there is the option to "Download From The Web" (at run time).

The download location is specified in the Prerequisite itself.
0 Kudos
Awolf401
Level 4

Cool thanks!!

Any idea how I can scan for earlier versions of reader. I dont nessisarily have to have adobe reader 8 or 9 just 5 or higher as the user just needs to be able to read our docs.

I know it will probably take a system search to do that but that will happen after the prereqs have been executed. I could launch a install script but then I would have to add the setup file to my package increasing its size.
0 Kudos
Awolf401
Level 4

Ok nevermind I figured that part out. In case anyone is haveing trouble just use the conditions part of the prereq editor to search for the folowing registry keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\5.0\InstallPath
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\InstallPath
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\7.0\InstallPath
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\8.0\InstallPath
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\InstallPath
0 Kudos