cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean_H
Level 7

Prereq Failed Error when installing Oracle 11g Client as self-extracting executable

I have an InstallScript MSI project and I need to install the Oracle 11g client as part of my installation. The file is huge, ~500mb, so I created a self- extracting executable using WinZip Self Extractor that unzips automatically and installs using the following command .\client\setup.exe. I have created a Prerequisite for this component, but when the installation is invoked, the prerequisite starts the installation, however if I have the behavour set to abort is component fails to install, a message is posted that the component failed to install , but the (Oracle Client) actually is waiting to install, however the install then aborts because the the Prerequisite posted the message that the component failed to install.

The Oracle install initially calls the file setup.exe which then calls another file, javaw.exe and it is this file that actually installs the Oracle client. I suspect that this may be the cause of this issue, if I set the behavour for the component to continue on failure, I can install the component without the setup closing. Does anyone have any idea how I can get this install properly using it as a prerequisite with the behavour for the component set to abort if component fails to install
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It sounds as though the executable you are launching is exiting before the installation has completed. You can verify this by looking for when you get a command prompt after running: start /wait setup.exe

If it exits before the full installation has completed, your best bet is to wrap this with a helper executable which knows how to wait for the deeper child processes to exit.
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

Two questions
1) How would I go about verifying this, You can verify this by looking for when you get a command prompt after running: start /wait setup.exe?

2) What is a helper executable and where would I find out more about how I would go about creating one of these executables?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Perhaps you could look up the command line parameters for the oracle setup.exe and fine one that makes it wait for the entire install to complete before exiting. That would certainly be a simpler approach if such a parameter is available.
0 Kudos