cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lam1278
Level 6

Prereq Editor - Files to Include allow path variables?

In InstallShield 12, I was able create a Prerequisiste and then modify the path afterwards to use a Path Variable (See First Image below - IS12_Prereq.jpg)

In InstallShield 2010, I cannot "Modify" the path to use a Path Variable even though the path clearly exists. (See Second Image below - IS2010_Prereq.jpg)

I get the "The specified file does not exist, therefore the size of the file as stored by the prerequisite will be 0" warning.

Did something change between the two versions to not allow this?

I do not want to hard code this path when the build computer and my computer may differ in the names of our ClearCase views?

How would one recommend I remedy this situation?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
lam1278
Level 6

:confused:

Bumping my thread up.

Does anyone know how to use Path variables in a prerequisite?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Prerequisites are created separately from projects, so it's not feasible to know what path variables will be available at consumption time. So this isn't exactly supported. However it should be easy enough to open up the .prq file in a text editor and change the paths to use variables, and I believe that should continue to build correctly.
0 Kudos
babaltz
Level 3

We're facing the same issue where we want to avoid hard-coding a single path into the PRQ file. I'm able to manually edit the PRQ file by using the ISProjectFolder variable in the LocalFile path. The project builds but the resulting setup.exe does not contain the prerequisite (based on its file size).

This works

This builds but does not include the prerequisite in the setup.exe.

Any ideas? What types of path variables are supposed to work?
Thanks.
Brian Baltz
0 Kudos
babaltz
Level 3

I think I figured out my mistake. I needed to encode the braces surrounding ISProjectFolder so the XML isn't corrupted.

\SourceFiles

When I make this change (manually) the installer builds and the prerequisite is included. I'm still not able to modify the PRQ file in Prerequisite Editor but that's ok.

Brian
0 Kudos